Sunday, February 8, 2015

Positive Reframing (2/8/15 Evolution Sunday)

Positive Reframing
John Shuck

Southminster Presbyterian Church
Beaverton, Oregon

February 8, 2015
Evolution Sunday

Romans 7:14-25
For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. 

For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.

 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin.

I didn’t know until a few years ago that Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin share a birthday.  The exact same day, that is same day, same year, February 12, 1809.    We made a holiday combining Lincoln and Washington’s Birthdays.  Next weekend, you can get a great deal on a new car or a bedroom set thanks to our former commanders in chief. 

Charles Darwin’s birthday receives no holiday.  But in recent years a bigger fuss has been made over him and rightly so.  Darwin’s theory qualifies him as a major dude.   Evolution, modification through time via natural selection, is transforming the way we think about virtually everything.   

This transformation in thinking is being met with resistance in many quarters.  The church hasn’t been comfortable with Darwin sitting in the pew.    The basic view I find among my colleagues is acceptance and dismissal.   They obviously accept evolution but regard it as irrelevant to anything they have to do.  

Let’s accept it but not talk about it. 

Last summer I submitted a commissioner’s resolution to the General Assembly.   This resolution was well done.   I can say that because it wasn’t written by me.  It was written by three members of my previous congregation, each a scientist.  You can read the resolution and the whole story about it on my blog.   The resolution asked the General Assembly to endorse the Clergy Letter Project, which I will talk about in a minute, and establish the second Sunday in February on the church calendar as Evolution Sunday in honor of Charles Darwin.   It was rejected in committee 46-2.    I am not discouraged.  You can only go up from here.

As I reflected on this experience what I took away was that for most church folks, evolution is more trouble than its worth.    We don’t want to make a big deal of it because we don’t want to upset our friends.     As one member of the committee said:  “I have family members who believe in evolution and some who don’t.  Why add fuel to the fire?”   I think that sentiment won the day.   

I personally find that sentiment irresponsible in and of itself.  Think of all the fires that have needed fuel throughout history.  I am grateful for those who have added fuel even though doing so might have upset family members.   The fire of abolition, the fire of suffrage, the fire of civil rights.  The struggles over what we teach in public schools are hot topics today in regards to evolution.   Positive change has always required the willingness to engage potential conflict.   

But if evolution is seen as esoteric and removed from daily experience, I can understand why the ambivalence.    By introducing this resolution we were trying to make the case that this is not esoteric or irrelevant, but important and serious for the church.

Evolution is not something you can believe in or not believe in as if it were like choosing a sports team.  It is foundational for understanding the natural world including human life.   Because there is so much misinformation even disinformation about it and because much of this misinformation comes from religious sources, it falls upon those of us who are religious to do our part in regards to education within our church and outside of it as well.

Enter Michael Zimmerman and the Clergy Letter Project.  I am deeply grateful for Michael.  He is tireless.   This whole thing consists of his website, his email address, and his Huffington Post page.  He is now at Evergreen College in Olympia.  He started The Clergy Letter Project and Evolution Weekend when he was at Butler University about ten years ago. 

His concern was that religion was being used as a reason to hinder public schools in regards to science education, in particular the teaching of evolution.  He thought if he could get clergy to communicate clearly that evolution and faith were not incompatible it would help.    A letter was drafted and has been signed by over 13,000 of us clergy types.   

In addition to the letter, Evolution Sunday, now Evolution Weekend was established on the weekend closest to Darwin’s Birthday to speak about Evolution in particular and science in general in church.    That is why Evolution Sunday. 

I just found out yesterday that Evolution Sunday is next week.   I messed this up.  I was so used to the second Sunday being Evolution Sunday that I didn’t realize that next Sunday the 15th is the Sunday closest to Darwin’s birthday.  We might have to do it all again.   But you know when your heart is right, every Sunday is Evolution Sunday.

I have been having fun with Evolution Sunday over the past ten years with my congregation and I hope we can have fun with it as well.   When I say, fun, I don’t mean frivolous.   But unless it is fun, it won’t find much of a hearing.  

I thought it might be fun to think about a theological concept from an evolutionary perspective.  What is sin?  Not that we are going to rewrite books of doctrine but just poke at it from a different angle.    Here again the Apostle Paul from Romans 7:14-25:

For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it.

For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin.

Two things here.  The first is that I resonate with what Paul is saying.   I get that.   I resemble that.  I feel that with him.  The second is that I want to give him a hug.  I want to say,

“Paul, I hear you, but let’s reframe this positively.”

Paul provides no specifics, but if I had a dollar I would bet it has something to do with food or sex.   If I had another fifty cents I might put it on issues related to competition and status and spin the roulette wheel.  

The meaning of life for the past 3.5 billion years since the first bacterium said, “Here I am.  Hear me roar,” has been, this.  This is the meaning of life:

Eat.  Survive.  Reproduce. 

Those drives to eat, survive, reproduce are like Paul said, a law “in my members…at war with the law of my mind.”   Paul articulates the struggle with our drives.  Except he calls it sin.  We might do well to reframe that. 

We, that is Homo sapiens share with nematodes, little worm-like creatures, the same gene for controlling appetite.  Our common ancestor with the nematode was around 1.5 billion years ago.    In other words these drives such as a gene that controls appetite, “the law…in our members,” has been around a long, long time.   

I learned that fact about the nematode from David Sloan Wilson’s book, Evolution ForEveryone:  How Darwin’s Theory Can changethe Way We Think About Our Lives.    

When we think about it that way, in an evolutionary way, it isn’t so much a matter of sin and Jesus as it is about genes and environment.    For example, there was a time, in fact most of the time, the vast majority of human existence, let alone mammalian existence, that salts, fats and sugars were hard to come by.   

The human beings who survived were able to get them into their bodies.  Those who didn’t did not reproduce.   We might be grateful that our ancestors had what we might call today an addiction to potato chips, ice cream and quarter pounders.     Had our ancestors not been driven, and had they not developed a taste for salt, fat, and sugar, they wouldn’t have survived their environments.  

For Americans, at least, our environments have changed.   We are deluged with salt, fat, and sugar.    So much so that it is killing us.   While our environment has changed, our attitudes are less than effective.  We think that these things can be solved by willpower.    That it is up to the individual to overcome these drives by praying to Jesus.    Then we judge.   We judge ourselves or others.  Obesity can be traced at least in part to birth weight.  If we were born with a lower than average birth weight, the gene for storing food was engaged.   

Rather than judge and punish individuals, we might spend time evaluating our environments, environments created to make a profit by exploiting biological  drives.   The point I want to make is that reframing our issues through an evolutionary perspective can help us evaluate and solve problems.    

When environments change, species undergo a period of dancing with ghosts.  This is a metaphor David Wilson uses in his book.   Think of a ballroom and a couple dancing.   One of the partner ssuddenly disappears but the other dancer continues as if nothing has changed.    A big pit appears on the dance floor.  The dancer doesn’t notice and falls in.  

Sea turtles for hundreds of millions of years have done the same thing.  They give birth on the land and when the baby turtles hatch a gene is triggered that tells them, “Go to the light.”   The light is the reflection of the moon on the ocean.  The turtles make their way to the ocean to a lifetime of happiness and meaning where they will eat, survive, and reproduce.  

Enter beach houses.  The light from the houses is brighter than the light reflected on the ocean by the moon.  The sea turtles get the same message that has enabled them to survive for hundreds of millions of years.   Go to the light.  So they do.  But they go away from the ocean and to their deaths.   The environment has changed.  They are dancing with ghosts.  

Antelopes in Montana are fast.  Who are they running from?   They are running from the ghosts of predators long extinct. 

Sea turtles, antelopes, and human beings have the same thing in common.  We are all dancing with ghosts.   Our environments change yet our biological drives, our genes, are in the words of Paul, “the sin that dwells within me.”

But it really isn’t a sin, Paul.  Whatever it is you think dwells within you, maybe anger, or sexual desire or whatever it is, can be thought of differently.     The behaviors that we exhibit and struggle with today likely enabled our ancestors to survive in the past.    They served a purpose.   They still do, when used in helpful ways.

To conclude, on this Evolution Sunday…

I make a case for accepting that human beings are not above evolution.   Our behaviors, thoughts, and attitudes, are a product of evolution.   Our behaviors and attributes have a long, long history that in most cases predate humanity.  

I make a second case for thinking in an evolutionary way about everything including human behavior.    We along with bananas and bonobos adapt to our environments.  It is the way it works.   So we might think about our behaviors, not just individuals, but societies and communities in an evolutionary way.

I make a third case for being a bit more compassionate with ourselves and with others about these supposed “sins of the flesh.” What might be a sin in one context was a virtue in another.   We might think of our genetic heritage as a tool box.   Rather than judge or control how might we understand and work with human behaviors, drawing from our tool kit those behaviors that can enable us to adapt and flourish.    

The bottom line for me is that I never until fairly recently thought about human life (behavior, attributes, even religion) in terms of evolution.   I have usually thought about it in terms of sin vs. virtue as Paul had done, the war between mind and flesh.   Evolution has provided us with a whole new way of understanding ourselves and our place on this beautiful blue ball.  

I would like to hear your thoughts about this as well.  Join us after worship for conversation.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment